2018 All American Hickory Open Recap
Since its inception, the All American Hickory Open has been contested at the distinguished courses of Downers Grove Golf Course (old Chicago Club) and Rock Island Arsenal GC, but this past weekend it was played for the first time at the private course of Soangetaha Country Club. When the Arsenal course in Rock Island wasn’t sure if they would be open, George Burgland, a member and participant in the 2017 AAHO, suggested we move it to his home course in Galesburg, IL. From the participation of 34 players (including 7 members of the club and new to hickory golf) and feedback from the group, it was an excellent choice and substitution. Not only did the history of the club fit the bill, but the course itself (a Tom Bendelow design) was completely welcoming to both Pre and Post 1900 play.
The weather cooperated, with some overcast in the morning, but turning sunny and warm in the afternoon. The course was in great shape with the rough being a menace and obstacle for those errant shots. There may have also been a little local knowledge help, as a few of the trophies were claimed by members new to hickory golf.
We would like to congratulate the winners for some outstanding golf.
Pre-1900 (Gutty) Divisions
- Park: Gross Champion – Bill “Ernie” Ernst (154); Net Champion – Chris Palar (136)
- Senior: Gross Champ – Chris Hardy (153); Net Champ – Jeff Browning (121)
- Statesman: Gross Champ – Dan Norstedt (157); Net Champ – Frank Rosenweig (138)
- Open: Gross Champ – JC Wise (167); Net Champ – Randy Renaud (166)
- Senior: Gross Champ – George Burland (161); Net Champ – John McKenzie (146)
- Statesman: Gross Champ – John Piffer (166); Net Champ – Bill Reed (152)
As for the future of the All American Hickory Open, this course will give the committee some questions to be answered for future events. We hope to see everyone back next year with many more participants.
We would like to thank Kirk Hosteng (Head Pro), staff and membership of Soangetaha CC for their wonderful accommodations and hospitality for a great 2018 AAHO event; Chris McIntyre for club rentals; and Dave Brown/McIntyre golf for period golf balls.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.